Monday, March 11, 2013

Monday Musings--11 March 2013


Right now...it is after 7:00 a.m. as I begin this, but it will likely be afternoon before I am done.  You may have noticed that I have been absent since Saturday a week ago; I didn't plan it that way--it is just that I was working at getting things done around here, and the blog does take time!  Also, I haven't been picking up the camera much lately (kids are indoors more than out) and I can blog with photos and few or no words, but I dislike doing it the other way around!  Today is another wet, dismal day...

This weekend...was busy, eventful and lovely!  On Friday afternoon, my Una and I met up with my friend Cindy and we headed into Nashville for our first IHM Conference!  Since it was the first in Nashville, it was only from 2-7 p.m., and there were only two speakers and a handful of vendors, but the speakers were wonderful.  Virginia Seufert and Prof. Joseph Pearce were both so very engaging, and Una was delighted to meet him, having read three of his biographies.  He signed the two we had with us for her.  His second talk on "The Catholicism of The Hobbit" was really interesting, and he was a pleasure to listen to, his English accent being rather easy on the ears.  It was nice to see a few ladies I haven't seen in a while, too!  I really hope that it will be back next year, bigger and better.

On Saturday the weather was nice enough, but I didn't get out; I was busy trying to get the house in order and some food prepared for Sunday guests.  I also managed to finish painting a little tote bag for my niece's birthday.

Sunday Mass at the Chapel of Divine Mercy was lovely, and afterward we had a visit from friends to look forward to.  It was overcast and windy out, but very mild, and the kids were pretty much outside until they were called in to eat.  It was noisy and busy with a dozen kids in the house, but there was so much lovely interaction between the kids and so much laughter and joy...we feel blessed to have friends that feel like family. We kept them here until well after 8, and goodbyes alone took 20 minutes.

Right now...it is 1:25, and we are done with school for the day, as I kept right on top of everyone all morning.  I have butter made, a couple of loads of laundry done and I paid a few bills.  In a few minutes I am going to call in the kids and read a chapter of House of Sixty Fathers (yes, we've been reading that for a while, but I don't read aloud every day).

Some plans for this week:  I need to make appointments for the boys to have haircuts before Easter.  Although I usually do the trimming, and occasionally cut their hair, it has grown beyond my modest abilities and will require a professional to make it look good.  I'm trying to get back into a groove with school, so that's the priority right now.  We'll be schooling through July, so I'm looking at what needs to be done in the next 4 1/2 months.

I am grateful for...the fact that I was able to use the Avast Rescue Disk to get my computer back in fair order after a blue screen "Crash Dump" episode last week; for the friend who drove me to the homeschool conference on Friday, the friend who sent me a bunch of water kefir grains after reading about how I cooked mine and the friends who stay late but make me wish they didn't have to go.  I'm grateful for an unexpected check for $40.

Some prayer intentions for this week:   Certainly for the cardinals who will be electing our new Holy Father; for my sister and my nephew; for Jennifer's mom, who is in a nursing home and may be very close to leaving this world; for Monica, who has a birthday on Thursday; for my mother-in-law.

Something that makes me smile: Sundays during Lent. Dark chocolate and Irish Stout...

Feel free to grab the header image and post your own Monday Musings--kindly link back here if you do!
Have a blessed week!