Monday, February 27, 2012

Monday Musings--27 February 2012


Right now...as I begin this post it is 5:30 a.m.  It is dark outside and cold.  I have been awake since 3:20 for now particular reason, and I finally got out of bed at 4:30 when I realized I wasn't going to get back to sleep.

See the header photo for this post?  The caption should read, "I hate black coffee."  And I do, but that is how I  drink it during Lent, but for Sundays.  Really cuts down on my coffee consumption.

This weekend...was busy.  On Saturday we went into Bowling Green to do our grocery shopping, and since I am trying to go shopping only every other week, it was a big one.  Bret played the tempter and asked if I needed anything at Hobby Lobby, but I told him that it would be a near occasion of sin during Lent, so we skipped it.

At home it took me ages to put everything away.  When I finally got it done, I went into my bedroom with a big, black trash bag and some smaller bags and de-cluttered the room. The closet and every drawer, the nightstand and the bathroom.  Bret still has his dresser and side of the closet to do.  Feels good!

I was up responding to children five times between 1:20 and 3:30 on Saturday morning, so getting up at 5 and getting ready for an early Mass took some power of will, but we did it, and we were all home by 10:00 or so.  The ride home was glorious!  The sky was a clear blue and daffodils were blooming in many places.  We had a second breakfast (brunch, if you like) and then found various ways to occupy ourselves.  I drew and painted for a bit, looked at some patterns on Ravelry and decided what I would cast on next.  In the evening, we watched Les Miserables. 


Some plans for this week:  continuing with school and house cleaning.  The plan is to de-junk the house, and then in the last couple of weeks of Lent, to thoroughly clean it.  Thursday Adrian has an appointment at Vanderbilt Children's Hospital for a minor surgery.  His Godmother has planned to drive us so that we can spend some time together.  I hate hospitals and I'm glad if I can have a friend to distract me.  I also need to make a list of clothing needed for Easter.  I think Sebastian needs new dress shoes.  I just have to make sure everyone has something appropriate that fits properly.

If I can find some time for myself, I would like to...get somewhere on my knitting and reading, and figure out what to put in the Easter baskets since I don't want to put in a lot of candy and I don't want to put in little do-dads that just add to the clutter in this house.  The clutter I am working hard to reduce this Lent.

I am grateful for...early signs of spring, robins and daffodils.  Also, for Netflix as a boon to our science and history studies.  I have a long line up of documentaries, biographies and docudramas lined up for our study of the founding of the United States and the Revolutionary War.  A big thumbs up for The War That Made America, which was a wonderful documentary on the French and Indian War.  I also highly recommend Deep Blue and Microcosmos for the study of deep sea life and insects, respectively.  Both were fascinating, and the latter has almost no dialogue, but a lovely soundtrack of music and natural sounds.

Some prayer intentions for this week:  today is Gabriel's nameday!  He was named for St. Gabriel Possenti, whom you can read about here.  I guess we'll have to break from the No Dessert rule for Lent and have a little treat tonight. My dad's birthday is tomorrow, so I am offering prayers for his health and well-being, and hoping he'll be able to make it out for a visit sometime soon, and my nephew's birthday is on Saturday...I continue to pray that the year ahead will be better for him than the last. Of course, I am praying that all goes well with Adrian's surgery, and for continued progress on the new house.

Something that makes me smile:  I don't know what Dominic was telling Adrian, but the belt above the pants is darned cute, although I can't imagine what the boy was thinking with that...at least he's not putting his underwear over his pants anymore...


As always, you are welcome to grab the header image for your own Monday Musings post.  Link back here, if you would.  Have a great week!